The award-winning Yamaha WaveRunner® FX140™ is the world's first four-stroke personal watercraft and a quantum leap in personal watercraft design and styling. All New for 2003, the FX140 is available in two colors, Dark Purplish Blue Metallic and Black Metallic, and is loaded with additional features.
The FX140 is powered by the Yamaha MR-1 engine, the first four-stroke motor designed specifically for personal watercraft applications. The MR-1 powerplant is a compact, ultra-lightweight, 140 horsepower, four-cylinder, 988cc, DOHC, 20-valve, liquid-cooled engine for unequalled performance. Features include:
- Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) - Four individually adjustable throttle bodies, throttle position sensor (TPS) and intake air pressure and air temperature sensors supply the optimum air/fuel mixture. The results are a smooth, high power output with low fuel consumption and low exhaust emissions.
- Specially Designed, One-piece Cylinder and Crankcase Assembly - Provides tremendous engine rigidity that's lighter and stiffer than two-piece designs.
- Slant Detection Switch - Electronic switch stops engine and oil pumps immediately if watercraft becomes overturned, protecting motor from unwanted water ingestion.
- High Volume Intake Box - With water repellant air filter and flame arrestors.
- Dry Sump Lubrication - Uses two engine oil pumps to deliver lubricated oil to each moving part with water-jacketed sump and oil backflow protection.
- Driveline Reduction Gearbox - Rugged and efficient straight-cut reduction gear assembly lowers jet pump shaft speed by a ratio of 1.47:1.
- Yamaha Engine Management System (Y.E.M.S.) - An integrated, computerized management system that controls and adjusts such functions as ignition timing, fuel injection mapping, engine diagnostics and OTS. The OTS function of Y.E.M.S. activates when the operator releases the throttle lever and attempts to steer the watercraft. This assists the operator in turning while the watercraft is decelerating.
- Independent Water-jacketed Exhaust Manifolds with Collector - Achieves high power while keeping noise and exhaust heat under control.
- Thermostatic and Pressure Controlled Cooling System - Water flow through the engine is controlled by a thermostat and pressure system and is maintained by a pressure control valve.
- Corrosion Protection System - Sacrificial zinc anodes protect the engine from harmful galvanic corrosion. Stainless steel fasteners (nuts, bolts, hardware) provide a long service life. Cylinders, cases and heads are all treated with a durable oxide coating to form a barrier between corrosion and expensive engine parts.
- Electronically Controlled, Variable Ignition Timing - For exact ignition advance control at all throttle positions and RPMs.
The Jet Pump Propulsion System
The FX140's 155mm Hyper-Flow jet pump propulsion system with three-blade stainless steel impeller is designed to maximize water flow for high performance. The FX pump configuration provides excellent hook-up and smooth acceleration. Features include:
- Reverse - Allows the watercraft to be backed up off a trailer or out of tight spots where you can not turn around easily.
- Quick Shift Trim System (Q.S.T.S.) - Mechanically operated, this system offers instant change in the attitude of the watercraft while underway allowing for tighter turns or quicker acceleration on plane, as the rider prefers. Q.S.T.S. offers 24 degrees of total trim range.
- Stainless Steel Impeller Housing Liner - For high durability, the liner maintains accurate clearance tolerances between the impeller and the housing.
- High Flow Intake Duct and Grate - The dynamic shape of these items directs water flow into the pump for better thrust, performance and hook up.
- Cooling Water Intake Filter - Filters out harmful debris that could cause blockage of important cooling water passages.
- Thrust Directional Enhancer (T.D.E.) - Helps direct water flow at low and high speed operation for exceptional maneuverability as well as assisting the trim system in efficiency.
- Pumps are Manufactured with YDC30 - A combination of zinc and copper alloys, developed by Yamaha marine engineers, that offers excellent corrosion protection.
The Hull and Deck
The FX140's Sheet Molded Compound (SMC) hull and deck is designed specifically for unmatched luxury, comfort and performance for up to three people. The FX hull is reinforced with a foam-filled SMC liner, which increases durability and reduces vibration. An all-new deck design gives the FX an exciting profile sure to turn heads on and off the water. Features include:
- Progressive, Stepper Draft V-Hull with Integrated Bow Spray Guard - Provides excellent maneuverability, handling and comfort. One of the driest hull designs in the industry.
- Performance Sponson Design - Provides added straight-line comfort and an improved two and three-up riding experience.
Environmentally- Minded Innovations
By employing proven technologies, Yamaha delivers significant reductions in emissions output and noise levels without compromising performance and reliability. These technologies include:
- Yamaha MR-1 Four-Stroke Engine - The world's first personal watercraft four-stroke engine is the cleanest, quietest, most fuel-efficient engine ever introduced.
- Yamaha Sound Suppression System - This system of integrated noise reduction components targets the three common types of noise: 1.) intake noise, 2.) exhaust noise and 3.) noise from vibration.
The FX140 comes with a long list of comfort features that make it one of the most complete watercraft offered today. These features include:
- Five-step Adjustable Tilt Steering System - Allows the rider to adjust the steering column angle from 55 degrees to 35 degrees.
- Multi-function Electronic Information Center - Provides the operator a quick read on speed, RPM, fuel level, low fuel warning, low oil pressure warning, battery voltage, overheat warning, hour meter, check engine light with self-diagnostic function and the industry's only audible warning system.
- 27 Gallons of Total Storage - Includes a large 19.8-gallon cooler, rear storage tub and glove box.
- Comfortable Two-piece Seat - Ergonomically-designed and contoured for added support. The extra-long seat is easily removed for quick access to the engine and the cooler.
- Pneumatically-assisted Storage Compartment - Large 19.8-gallon front compartment, remote release lever and pneumatic lid support.
- Glove Box with Self-draining Beverage Holders - The industry's first self-draining beverage holders.
- Extra Large Boarding Platform - Provides a stable platform for re-boarding.
- Dual Mirrors - Automotive style and convenience. Trigger Throttle Lever - Provides added comfort while reducing hand fatigue.
- Yamaha's Trademarked Visibility Spout - A 10 foot-plus high spray of water created to make Yamaha WaveRunners more visible to all boaters.
*Suggested Retail Price (SRP) excludes destination charge. Visit powersports.honda.com to view applicable destination charge amount.